Monday, November 18, 2013

Garlic Basil Squash


Little yellow summer squash have long been a problem for me.  I know they're healthy, but I don't love them.  I don't even know what to do with them.  I used to throw them in a pasta dish with some zucchini and tomatoes, but even then, they were the pieces that got picked around and left behind in the serving bowl...and not just by me!  Joey feels the same way.  You see the problem.  So when we got like 6 of these bad boys in our bountiful basket I knew I had to find something!  Can't just let them go to waste.  Some googling later and I found the only recipe I will ever make with summer squash (Thank you Everyday Paleo!).  It is soooo good.  There is so much flavor you don't even know you're eating squash - perfect!  However, you will know you're eating garlic, and so will everyone around you, so don't bring the leftovers to work the next day.

2 lbs summer squash, cut into bite size pieces
1 red onion, thinly sliced
8-10 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 cup coconut oil
sea salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 cup fresh basil, finely diced

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Toss everything except the basil together in a glass 9x13 baking pan, and bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.  Once it comes out of the oven, toss the squash with the fresh basil and get ready to enjoy your new favorite summer squash dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment