Saturday, August 17, 2013

Ginger Snaps



Our mom has the best soft and chewy ginger snap recipe and when I think about not be able to eat them in all their gluten-y goodness it brings tears to my eyes. So today while scouring the web for a GF dessert to make, I stumbled upon a paleo molasses spice cookie but changed it a bit because it had no sugar (whaaaa?) and had some other weird stuff instead of molasses. So here is my version:
  
Ginger Snaps
1 ½ cups blanched almond flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ginger (I threw in a pinch more)
½ teaspoon cinnamon (and I threw in a extra pinch of this)
¼ cup melted butter
¼ cup molasses

¼ cup sugar

Combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon in a large bowl.
Stir together the melted butter, sugar, and molasses.
Mix wet ingredients into dry.
Scoop onto parchment paper lined baking sheet 1 tablespoon at a time and gently press.
Bake at 350° for 6-10 minutes.
Cool and serve.

I didn't wait for them to cool completely to start devouring them.  They tasted very close to mom's recipe.  The only difference was the texture.  The almond flour makes them a bit grittier than our normal smooth floury ones.  

Are they as good as the originals? NEVER!
Are they a good substitute for what we really want and can't have? *sniffle* i guess....






1 comment:

  1. I love those soft, chewy ginger snaps....I'll have to try this recipe

    ReplyDelete