Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Rumbi Island Grill Tortilla Soup

A lady in our ward brought this soup over to me right after I had Brigham.  It was so good I had to get the recipe from her.




3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (I used the meat from a rotisserie chicken from Costco)
8 cups chicken broth
1 cup carrot, diced very thin
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic clove, minced
1 can black beans
1 cup chopped tomato (I used a can of diced)
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (tabasco?)
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Tortilla chips
2 limes, cut into wedges
salt

Directions:


1. Preheat an outdoor or indoor grill for medium heat. Grill chicken breasts for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until browned and cooked through. Remove from the grill, and cut into chunks.
2. In a large pot, combine the chicken, stock, black beans, and carrot. Season with allspice, thyme, cinnamon, ginger and garlic. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Pour in the tomato, coconut milk and hot pepper sauce. Heat through, but do not boil.

3. Ladle into bowls, and top with shredded mozzarella cheese and tortilla strips. Squeeze juice onto soup from lime wedges.

I ended up just squeezing a whole lime worth of juice into the big pot of soup.  I don't know why it is served with mozzarella cheese because it because very gooey and clumpy and hard to mix in.  This soup is really tasty though and the fresh ginger makes all the difference! Oh and I through in some spinach because I had some and I thought the soup could use some green!

No comments:

Post a Comment