Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Phony-roni 'N Cheese

I am getting tired of all my other recipes and went in search of some new ones for this week.  Last night and tonight we have had two winners! Last night I made this recipe, originally from the Wheat Belly Cookbook. It was very tasty and filling.

5 tablespoons butter, divided
1 small onion, minced
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1 can coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1 large cauliflower, broken into florets and cut into bite size pieces
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons ground golden flaxseeds

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2 quart baking dish.

In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter.  Cook the onion, stirring for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.  Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Stir in the coconut flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes or until lightly browned.  Stir in the coconut milk, mustard, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar cheese and cauliflower. Pour into baking dish.

In a small bowl, melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and milk in the parmesan cheese and flaxseeds.  Sprinkle over the casserole.  Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbling and lightly browned.

** I made this exactly as written but added some fresh ground black pepper to it and more parmesan cheese in the topping.  I think next time I will cook it a bit longer to the cauliflower isn't so crunchy and raw tasting.

I don't have a picture of the made dish (just picture a delicious crusty cheese topped cheese sauce over cauliflower) BUT! I do have a picture of my renovated menu planner display!


No comments:

Post a Comment