Sunday, September 15, 2013

Corn Potato Chowder with Smoked Sausage


Not the best picture because as soon as I made it I started wolfing it down and then was oh crap I need a picture so I stopped mid bite to take this picture so excuse the drips and tiny cut up pieces of sausage. Anyways...

This recipe is one I developed when Taylor and I were living in Provo.  I think the original is from allrecipes.com but I changed it some and made it to my liking and have modified it to be thickened with corn starch instead of flour, so here it is:

1 package smoked sausage (I call it u-bend sausage), cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup butter
2 cloves garlic, minced 
4 tablespoons corn starch
3/4-1teaspoon of creole seasoning (I use Tony Chachere's) to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 cups milk
2 cups cubed potatoes, cooked and drained
2 cups of frozen corn
Shredded cheese for topping

You'll want to start with peeling and boiling your potatoes if you don't have some already cooked. 

Melt the butter in a big pot. Add onion and garlic (I also threw in a diced bell pepper because I had one and it was a yummy addition). Sauté until onion is tender.  

Mix the cornstarch with the mix until it is dissolved and then add the milk to the pot.  Add the creole seasoning and pepper and cook until thickened.  ( if having all milk makes it too rich for you, you can sub a couple of the cups of milk for chicken broth.  I think I added an extra cup of chicken broth in addition to the 4 cups of milk just to make it go a little further so I could have leftovers for lunch all week.) 

Add the corn and potatoes and sausage.  Bring to boil then cover and simmer for ten minutes.  Stirring occasionally.  I like to break up some of the potato chunks as I stir so the pieces aren't so big and the potatoes get all incorporated into the creamy soup. 

Top with cheese. 

I love this chowder because its hearty and perfect for fall and winter and I love anything with u-bend sausage. :)



1 comment: