Sunday, January 27, 2013

Frittata: Dangerously Delicious




So what do you do for dinner on a Sunday evening when you haven't thought ahead and you have a lot  of eggs? Frittata!!! I have used several different frittata recipes but have resorted to just making up my own everytime depending on what kinds of ingredients I have laying around.  So today's frittata was a potato, spinach, sausage, cheesy frittata.  Here's how it went:

Ingredients:

half an onion diced
clove of garlic, minced
1/4 pound sausage
3 potatoes sliced uber thin
salt and pepper
olive oil
handfuls of spinach
6 eggs
1/3 cup parm cheese
1/2 cup to 1 whole cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350.  Drizzle a little EVOO in a oven safe pan on medium heat and cook sausage and onion until sausage is no longer pink.  Add garlic and some salt and pepper.  Through in the potatoes and cook around a bit.  Add the spinach and put the lid on the pan to help it wilt faster.  Meanwhile, beat the 6 eggs together and add the cheeses to the eggs and mix.  (I also added a dash of heavy whipping cream to it because 1. I had some and 2. it's delicious in everything)  Once the spinach is wilted down, add the beaten eggs and mix everything around until its combined and flatten it down.  Turn of the heat and stick it in the oven for 18 minutes.  Then flip in over on a plate and VOILA! Frittata! You can through in different vegetables like bells peppers or add different meats or make it with hash browns. Super easy and takes little thought or random ingredients.

So now you are asking yourself, what is so dangerous about frittata? Its seemingly harmless with its slightly crunchy exterior, and warm soft eggy cheesy middle.  THE PAN! WATCH OUT FOR THE PAN! Frequent use of my pan on the stove has taught me that it does not hurt me if I just touch the handle which has a silicon handle and tiny metal hole on the end. But! Once it has been in a 350 degree oven for 18 minutes that tiny little exposed metal part is 350 DEGREES HOT! Every stinking time I make a dang frittata I remember to use a hot pad to take it out of the oven (duh) and then use a towel and like 3 hot pads to turn it onto a plate for a nice presentation.  But once that pan is frittata free and sitting innocently empty on the top of the stove, my brain thinks, oh this wont hurt me, so I grab it.  WRONG! SO painfully blisteringly wrong.  Alas, I have burned myself once more.  Tonight when I started the frittata process I said to myself, "I will NOT burn myself on that pan this time.  THIS time I will be smart and remember."  Everything was going well.  I put it in the oven, cleaned up the ingredients, set the table, and got a plate and 3 hot pads ready for removal.  I pulled it out and had Taylor even help me to put it on the plate to avoid incidence.  (I burned Taylor in the process, sorry honey!)  Then I put the frittata on the table and while Taylor went to do something before we sat down, I walked over to the stove, and seeing the pan sitting a little off kilter, grabbed it and burned my self again.  I will never learn.  So I have been nursing my burnt hand with a pack of ice water the last 3 hours.

Frittata pan: 5
Jessica: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment