Monday, January 28, 2013

Coconut Flour Crepes - YUM!


One of the hardest things about going GF for me has been breakfast.  Don't get me wrong, I love my oatmeal, but it's got nothing on a big weekend breakfast of pancakes, waffles, crepes, and other gluten-laden goodies that I used to make when I had more time on a weekend morning.  I can't even tell you my excitement when I stumbled upon a GF crepe recipe here last week.  Naturally, I tried it out this past weekend.
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
  • Stevia liquid drops, to taste (about 10 drops)
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (can substitute almond extract)
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons coconut flour, sifted
  • small pinch of nutmeg
  • pinch of cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup whole milk (can substitute regular coconut milk)
  • 1-1/2 cups blueberries (or other berries)
  • Whipped cream
In a medium bowl with a wire whisk, beat together the eggs, oil, stevia, vanilla, and salt. Mix in sifted coconut flour, nutmeg and cinnamon; stir in milk.
Heat an 8-inch skillet over medium heat. When hot, melt a tiny pat of butter, coconut oil or palm shortening in the pan. Pour 1/8 cup of batter in the skillet and swirl around in pan until a thin layer of batter covers the bottom. The crepe should be about 6-inches in diameter.
Cook 1-2 minutes, or until batter is bubbly and cooked around the edges. Flip the crepe and cook the other side for 1-2 minutes more, or until done.
Fill the crepes with the berries, top with a little whipped cream, and if you wish a light dusting of coconut flour.
Makes about 6 crepes.
My Take:  Now if you're anything like me, the first thing you probably noticed was that it is supposed to make 6 crepes.  6 crepes!?  That's not even enough for me!  Well that's what I thought when I read the recipe, so the first thing I did was double it.  I also cut out any stevia/sugar since I never used to add any to the batter when making normal gluten-filled crepes.  In my opinion, pancake/waffle/crepe recipes should not need sugar since most anything you put on them is sweet.  Just me.  The batter behaved a lot like normal crepe batter, but it did take a little longer to cook and they seemed a little more delicate in the flipping process.  The finished product however acted just like any crepe should, and was absolutely delicious filled with strawberries, cinnamon sugar, or any other topping you can think of.  The only problem I ran into was that even with a head start I couldn't make them as fast as Joey and Jenna could eat them and we were all sad when the batter ran out.  Pleasantly satiated, but still sad.  Next time, I'm either tripling the batch, or making them when no one else is around!



11 comments:

  1. Those sound good. I can't wait to try them! Do you think they would work OK on my crepe maker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure, but it's worth a try. I kind of stirred the batter up in between each crepe to make sure none of the coconut four settled out since it's so different than wheat flour. Let me know if it works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get me some coconut flour!! Those sound tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were deeeelicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. any idea what the carb count is on these delicious lookin' treats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honestly not sure, having never been much of a counter of anything (carbs, calories, points, etc.) But if anyone else out there knows how to calculate it please share!

      Delete
  6. We are grain free, so these were perfect this morning after my husband woke up complaining about how much he misses "Real Sunday breakfasts." We filled ours with "chia jam" and topped with coconut cream. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I added one more tablespoon of coconut flour as it looked too runny. But oh my, this is a keeper! Now to pick some strawberries. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks. I made these this morning and they turned out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These turned out pretty good. My 1 y.o. Is GF and dairy free so used coconut milk. She loves them! I needed to cook them on low so the eggs didn't cook instantly as soon as they hit the pan :)
    Thank you so much for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made these with my Mom today, these are even better than full Gluten crepes. So wonderful! We hade ours with Nutella and berries.

    ReplyDelete