Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Skinny Muffin in a Mug







1/4 cup ground flax
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. coconut oil, melted
1 egg
1 packet stevia or xylitol (or other sweetener of your choice)

Break the egg into the mug and beat with a fork. Add the dry ingredients and the coconut oil. Mix with the fork. Microwave for one to one and a half minutes. When it comes out of the microwave, invert onto a plate. So easy!

*check out the comments for some yummy variations!

Add-ins could include berries, banana, applesauce, chocolate chips or raisins. If you add too much wet fruit, you will need to add a little bit of cooking time.

Got this recipe from my hairdresser, Lora, who is also on a gluten-free journey. I tried it this morning and it was so quick and really tasted great. It took less that five minutes to mix and cook. To make it even quicker in the morning, Lora suggested putting the dry ingredients in a Ziploc bag ahead of time and then just adding them to the egg and oil before baking. It was tasty, filling, and a great way to use flax seed.

13 comments:

  1. Just wow. It looks like an exploded bit of shredded wheat cereal. But I'm going to get me some ground flax and try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this recipe! Quick and easy, delicious, and surprisingly filling. Even Joey gave it his seal of approval after trying it this morning. I used 1 tsp of sugar to sweeten as I don't have the other sweeteners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my new favorite thing. I put cream cheese and jam on it. Travis likes to pair it with ice cream...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this last night with a teaspoon of cocoa and a handful of chocolate chips. Dumped it in a bowl with a scoop of ice cream. So wrong, and yet so right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am becoming OBSESSED with this thing. I have had it for breakfast the last three days in a row! Is it bad to have so much flax in your system? The first time I made it, I cooked it for a minute and a half and it was a little dry and not sweet enough. So the next two times I have made it, I add like 2 teaspoons of brown sugar and a big spoonful of applesauce to make it extra moist and I only bake it for like 70 seconds and it is sooo delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried it with the applesauce. So yummy! Thanks for the great idea.

      Delete
  6. My newest version is banana! I mush up half a banana and mix that in with everything. I do omit the cinnamon when adding the banana though. I have to microwave it a little longer to make sure it cooks through. So delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This morning I made it with pumpkin! I add two big spoonfuls of canned pumpkin and some pumpkin pie spice and it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My new favorite method is to add a small spoonful of applesauce and a handful of frozen mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries). You need to cook a little longer, about 2 minutes, but so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not big on microwaving, has anyone baked this in the oven?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna, I read all the comments as I was thinking the same thing. Yes, I have baked my gluten-free mixtures in the oven or grilled them on the stove as pancakes. I have even put them in my waffle iron. I haven't tried this combination yet. Speaking from experience of five years gluten free: baking powder sometimes has gluten added to it. I use baking soda, a totally gluten free product and leavens the mix just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI, Thanks for posting... is there a substitute for flax that would still work with the Jorge Cruise diet? I'm on Warfarin and am not supposed to have that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning I tried making the muffins with almond meal and coconut flour. Not sure if you are allowed these on the diet you are on. The almond meal muffin tasted great and was more moist, but I needed to probably add a couple more tablespoons of almond meal. It was a little runny and made a mess in the microwave. Knowing that coconut flour is very dry, I only used 1/8 a cup, but it was still very dry. Hope that helps!

      Delete