Thursday, October 10, 2013

Cheeseburger Soup


Another soup recipe! I just can't get enough soup! This one comes from the Wheat Belly Cookbook. (My changes)

4 cups chicken broth, separated
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets (I used a whole one because why not)
1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
(I think I added a diced green bell pepper and was glad that I did)
1/2 pound ground beef (I used a pound of ground turkey)
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley ( I used a teaspoon of dried)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon coconut flour ( I used corn starch as a thickener so Taylor would eat it)
1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (so not enough.  go a cup or go home)

In a large saucepan, combine the 3 3/4 cups broth and cauliflower.  Cover and bring to boil over high heat.  Reduce the heat to medium low.  Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until cauliflower is super fork tender.

Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat the butter or oil.  Cook the onion and beef until no longer pink.  Drain the grease.  Stir in the parsley, paprika, salt, and pepper.  Remove from heat and set aside.

Puree the cauliflower and broth with a immersion blender (or normal blender).  In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 1/4 cup broth and coconut flour until smooth.  (I just used a little bit of cold water and cornstarch) Gradually add to the cauliflower mixture and cook, whisking constantly, over medium heat for 3 minutes, or until slightly thickened.  Whisk in the cheese just until it melts.  Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the reserved beef mixture.

Taylor and I really enjoyed this soup and it was pretty quick and easy to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment