Thursday, October 10, 2013

Stuffed Pepper Soup

Now that it's October and there is a chill in the air, it is full on soup season! I found this stuffed pepper soup recipe on sixsistersstuff.com while searching for good soup recipes.  Their recipe is very easy and straightforward, but of course I wanted to make things harder for myself, so I made some alterations to fit what I had and my tastes. Here is my version:

1 lbs lean ground turkey
1 onion, diced
Pot shot because I forgot to take a picture until we had already eaten

4 cups chicken stock
2 cups beef broth
2 tomatoes, diced
2 green bell peppers, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 half head of cabbage, diced
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
dash of onion powder
dash of garlic powder
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups cooked rice



Brown the turkey in a large stock pot with the onions.  Cook until no longer pink.  Drain the grease.  Add everything else but the cooked rice.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.  Stir in rice before serving.  Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.  

I wasn't really sure how this would turn out and was afraid it would taste very bell peppery, but it was actually way delicious! Lots of flavor and texture without anything overpowering anything else.  Definitely a keeper!

1 comment:

  1. Very yummy! Love the spices you added, and even Jenna loved it! Instead of brown sugar I added 1/4 pumpkin and it turned out awesome. Hooray for soup season!

    ReplyDelete