Monday, October 28, 2013

Kale and White Bean Soup


I used to be afraid of kale.  After the kale chip incident last summer I have shied away from this super food.  I just didn't know how to hone its super power! Well now I know! Chop it up and throw it in a soup! This recipe originates from here

2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
kosher salt and black pepper
2 15.5-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed
1 bunch kale, thick stems discarded and leaves torn into 2-inch pieces (8 cups)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary (I used a teaspoon of dried)
6-8 cups chicken stock or broth
1/2 cup shaved Parmesan (2 ounces), plus 1 piece rind (optional)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
(I also diced up a couple red potatoes and threw them in to make the soup for further.  When I make this again, I will probably cook up some sweet italian sausage and throw that in.)


Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Add the garlic, celery, onion, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
Add the beans, kale, rosemary, chicken broth, and Parmesan rind (if using). Cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove the Parmesan rind. Stir in the lemon juice and sprinkle with the shaved Parmesan before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment