Friday, February 1, 2013

One month down, how many more to go?

February 1st.  One month since I (really) started eating 99.9% gluten free.  (I ate some Pringles at a faculty meeting a couple weeks back and apparently they contain wheat ingredients.  I though it was just made out of potatoes!) I think this is my longest lasting New Year's resolution yet!  Its been fun to try being gluten free, but after reading Wheat Belly and all the amazing success stories and extreme health benefits, I was a little disappointed when I didn't lose 5 pounds in the first week and get rid of my acid reflux.  In fact, I have gained like 3 pounds, had my face break out, acquired a mysterious rash on my back, broke out in itchy hives on my arms and legs, my acid reflux has been crazy and I feel sad.  Sad and donut-less.  Sad when I think of all the memories wheat and I have made over the years and how we have none this year so far.  I think my body is allergic to being gluten free! I really do not know how my longer I can keep this up.  Rice crackers just aren't doing it for me anymore.  Everyday when I pass out Cheez-Its, Goldfish, and buttery Ritz crackers to my 2nd graders for snack, it's all I can do to not lock myself in the snack closet and suck down every last cheesy morsel!  Unless I start seeing results soon, I am hopping back to the pitas and bagels of my former happily wheat-filled life.

7 comments:

  1. Not to mention you were attacked by a frittata pan...I hope your hand has healed up nicely! Be strong, going back isn't as satisfying as you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that sounds like the Jessica we all know and love! I think you might experience more success (at least on the weight front) if you didn't fill the wheat-void in your life with no-bakes, peanut butter cookies, muddy buddies and chex-krispy treats. Just saying. Your body could be revolting against the influx of sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been gluten, dairy, soy free for five years now. After reading your blog about the rash, the breakout, the letdown, etc, you wondered if your body was "allergic to gluten free." I am going to tell you it is not. But rather, your body is getting rid of the toxins that is has been holding/storing all the years you were eating gluten. Give it time. One study I read five years ago said that it takes two to three months for your body to adjust to the new healthy eating. For some people it takes even longer. I didn't drop the weight right away when I stopped eating gluten, but rather, over the next year, I dropped 12 pounds, too much for me, until I got my intestines all healed from the trauma I had gone through with the antibiotics that were too strong for me and ruined my flora. Now I have gained back the 12 pounds and I know I am healthy. And by the way, I NEVER cheat and eat gluten products on purpose! I do not want to pay the price on my body by being sick for the next few days. Sometimes when I eat out, there may be a little gluten, dairy, or soy in the food I carefully select, so I have an upset that evening, even after taking Gluten Ease (I bought it from a health food store). That is my little bit of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your insights, Carma. I hope Jessica sticks with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi cousins! Let me just say, I am totally impressed with your guys' progress. I have been (mostly) gluten-free for 3 1/2 years. My guts are sooo much happier now. After reading this post, the first thing I wondered was, what are you replacing your gluten-filled foods with? Like your sister said, sugar can cause really bad GI distress. Acid reflux can be caused by gut dysbiosis, and sugar and starches just feed it. Some people go through a withdrawal period from gluten (and casein) that will make your cravings out of control, but work through it and avoid the sweets. Check out some paleo recipe sites to find some yummy and healthy GF meals and desserts, and make your sweets yourself using almond flour, brown rice flour, etc and use natural sweeteners like fruit (dates, bananas), honey, and stevia. As a previous post said, try to avoid starches like tapioca starch and potato starch. They are as bad for you as white flour and sugar. Basically, most packaged GF snacks are full of these unhealthy flour alternatives. If you still have GI distress, there still are many more things you can do to improve your GI health beyond just avoiding gluten.
    Well, Willmore Family, good luck! It tickles me to death you are doing this as a family, what great support! And your blog is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete