Saturday, March 23, 2013

Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins



I pinned these while babysitting last night and woke up this morning sooo excited to make them and have a delicious and nutritious breakfast.  Well, after waking up and not having any yogurt, eggs, or honey to make them, I hopped straight into the car (in my sweats, slippers, and glasses (not a pretty sight) and drove over to Sam's club to pick up the needed ingredients.  Then I got home and promptly whipped up a batch of Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins.  They go a little something like this:

Ingredients:
2.5 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup plain low fat greek yogurt
2 eggs
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 TBSP ground flax seed
1 tsp vanilla
2 ripe bananas
Chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray tin with non-stick cooking spray or line 12 muffin tins with silicone or foil liners.
2. Place the oats in the food processor and pulse for about 10 seconds. Add remaining ingredients (except chocolate chips) to the food processor. 
3. Process until everything is mixed together and oats are smooth. Add chocolate chips.
4. Divide batter among cupcake liners, and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.



I don't have a big enough food processor to mix the whole recipe up in one, so I just use my baby one to chops up the oats and then I mixed everything in a large bowl with my hand mixer.  I also mushed up the bananas with a fork on a plate before mixing it in.  I pulsed the chocolate chips in the food processor too because I am not a big fan of chocolate chips in things so I would rather have little flecks of chocolate in it then full chips.  I also did not have cupcake liners which I think would have been better.  But! All in all they are pretty delicious.  Not too sweet and I can feel good about eating them.  I ate 3 right out of the oven and they didn't make me feel super full and heavy. Just good clean food.
(and they don't have a very strong banana taste at all-which is good because I don't love bananas)

1 comment:

  1. Jenna and I made these this afternoon - Yum! Good idea on pulsing the chocolate chips, I'm not a huge fan of them in things either. Definitely wish I had a big food processor.

    ReplyDelete