Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce

I wanted to make something quick and easy for dinner.  I was in the mood for pasta (GF corn pasta of course (:  ) and wanted a creamy tomato sauce that used onions because I had a lot from my farmer's market weekly produce basket (bountiful basket-esque) I turned to allrecipes.com to find a solution and found this:


Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
3/4 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon butter

In a saucepan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat. Make sure it doesn't burn. Add tomatoes, basil, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and continue to boil 5 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates. Remove from heat; stir in whipping cream and butter. Reduce heat and simmer 5 more minutes.

Seems pretty easy right? Would take two pots- one for the pasta, one for the sauce, right? Maybe for the normal person.  4 pots, 45 minutes, and an immersion blender later, I had a fabulous meal, a happy husband, and a horribly messy and tomato-sauce splattered kitchen.  So much for a quick and easy meal.  Don't get me wrong, it was easy... or it should have been.  But I decided to cook 2 different kinds of pasta- GF corn pasta for me, and normal pasta for Taylor.  (I had a 1/4 of bag of each opened and GF is too expensive to feed to someone who doesn't try to eat GF at all.  What else was I to do?)  I also decided halfway into the meal to saute a half pound of mushrooms in butter for Taylor since we had a ton of them from our produce basket.  So I was busy juggling making the sauce, making one pasta, draining it, setting it aside, getting more water to boil, cutting up mushrooms, getting a smaller pot to make some broccoli, boiling the corn pasta, sauteeing the mushrooms, finishing the sauce, draining the pasta... and THEN I had the bright idea to put the sauce into the bigger pasta pot so I could immersion blend it so it was smoother (the saute pan it was in was too shallow so I HAD to move it to the bigger pot) so I had to transfer it to the pasta pot while the pasta sat in the strainer in the sink, and then once it was blended, I put it make in the original saute pan and added sour cream instead of heavy cream.  Only after I did that, did I notice my corn pasta was grossly under cooked had to re-boil some more water and put it back in the now dirty pasta pot.  WHEW! Was I tired after making this meal! 

It was totally worth it though.  Super delicious and flavorful.  Next time, I will try to think ahead so I don't have so much chaos.  

In case you got lost in the mayhem of the making of it, the things I did differently from the recipe were to immersion blend it before adding the butter and sour cream (instead of heaving whipping cream). I also added some parmesan cheese
<----- visible underneath the sauce :) 

2 comments:

  1. My daughter is GF and we have been using just GF pasta. I have never heard of corn pasta. Where do you buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought it at Kroger in their health/natural food section. The corn pasta was just sitting there next to the other varieties of gluten free pasta. I have also found it at Trader Joes.

    ReplyDelete