Saturday, March 2, 2013

Parmesan-"Breaded" Pork Chops w/ Balsamic-Roasted Vegetables

Long title, I know, and yes it is as amazing as it sounds!  Once again my Wheat Belly book came through.  The driving force for trying this recipe was the eggplant.  I get them in my bountiful basket every so often, and never know what to do with them.  Until now, I have never found a recipe that didn't result in Joey reminding me how much he hates eggplant.  But I keep trying.  And I thought this dish would be perfect because the eggplant would be cut in tiny little cubes and he wouldn't even know it was eggplant (He doesn't spend much time trying to figure out what I make, he just eats it like a good husband)!  Best part, it worked!  He ate his entire serving and just raved about how delicious it was and told me I could always make pork chops like this (he's also not a huge fan of pork chops, dates back to his childhood.  I was taking a huge risk making this meal, could have been an epic fail).  At that point I told him it was eggplant - you should have seen the look on his face.  Didn't deter him for long, he ate a second entire helping.  You can bet I will be making this one again next week as I still have another eggplant to use!

1 white onion, thinly sliced
1 small eggplant, unpeeled, but into 1/2-inch cubes
1 green pepper, sliced
1 yellow or red bell pepper, sliced
2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or more as needed
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
sea salt and ground black pepper
1 large egg
1 tablespoon coconut milk (the kind in a can, not a carton)
1/2 cup ground almonds or pecans
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
4 bone-in pork chops (I prefer boneless pork loin)
1 lemon, thinly sliced

Preheat the oven to 350.  Combine the onion, eggplant, bell pepper, and garlic in a large baking pan.  Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil and the vinegar.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat the vegetables.  Cover the pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together the egg and coconut milk in a shallow bowl.  Combine the almond or pecan meal, parmesan, garlic powder, and onion powder in another shallow bowl.  Season with salt and pepper.  Dip each pork chop into the egg, coating both sides.  Then dredge both sides in the ground almond-parm mix.

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the pork chops and cook just until nicely browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side.

After the vegetables have been roasting for 30 minutes, remove the baking pan and place the pork chops on top.  top the pork chops with the lemon slices.

Return to the oven and bake, uncovered, until the pork chops are just cooked through and the vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds amazing! I am with Joey on the eggplant front. It is such a pretty vegetable and yet I am always disappointed. I am sending Ernie to the store to get one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie, these look and sound wonderful. Next time the Bountiful Basket has eggplant, I'm doing this (instead of throwing the mushy thing away after waiting too long and doing nothing with it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this last night. Love it! Thanks, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete