Friday, March 15, 2013

Cranberry Cinnamon Scones


*WARNING* 
I'm talking about traditional English scones, NOT deep fried bread (much to Jenna's disappointment - she wanted "a scone as big as my head!" like you can get at Granny Annie's.  Never again poor thing, our days of greasy, glutenous, fried dough balls are over.)

Cranberry Cinnamon Scones

1 cup ground golden flaxseeds
3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons xylitol or 8-12 drops liquid stevia or to desired sweetness (I used the stevia)
5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
1/4 cup heavy cream (*if using stevia use an additional 1 tablespoon heavy cream)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, mix the flaxseeds, almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and xylitol, if using.  Cut the butter into the flour mixture until it's the size of peas.

In another bowl, whisk together the stevia (if using), cream, eggs, and vanilla until combined.  Stir into the dry ingredients until well blended.  Add the dried fruit, and stir until evenly distributed.

Evenly dived the dough into 8 pieces and place on the baking sheet.  Flatten to approximately 3/4" thickness.

Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown.

My Take: Thanks to the Wheat Belly Cookbook (which I'm convinced everyone should have!), whenever I feel the urge to bake I have tons of healthy, gluten-free recipes at my finger tips.  I'd been eyeing this one for a couple of weeks and finally broke down and bought the heavy cream so I could try it.  The recipe went smoothly, and I chose to shape the dough into triangles.  They turned out awesome, kind of how I think a whole wheat scone would be, a little more dense and substantial.  They're not very sweet (again, think traditional scones) but I enjoyed mine plain or with some butter.  I think they'd be yummy with some jam on top as well.  I individually froze half of them to pull out for a quick breakfast when I need it.  They are very filling!

No comments:

Post a Comment