Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Ham and Bean Soup

I love love LOVE ham and bean soup.  I always get excited to make a ham because it can make sooo many yummy leftovers... ham and eggs, ham fried rice, ham sandwiches, (well... I guess not anymore) and this lovely soup. I first found this recipe on allrecipes.com but I can't find it there anymore... luckily I printed it out when I first found it! A made a couple of small changes.  Here it is:

Ham and Bean Soup

2 medium carrots, sliced
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 onion chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1-2 cloves minced garlic
4 cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf

In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, celery, and onion in butter until tender.  Add garlic and saute for a few minutes.  Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Cover and turn down the heat to a simmer and simmer for 20 minutes.  Eat it up.

If you have a ham bone, toss it in and let it simmer with everybody else in the pot.
I could eat this everyday. Seriously.

2 comments:

  1. Good thing we're having a ham for Easter - you can make us this soup with the leftovers while you're here, hooray!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wow. This soup really is awesome.

    ReplyDelete