Saturday, March 23, 2013

Power Up!

My need for sweets drives my life... usually into guilt-laden activities such as watching tv with a spoon and a half gallon of Blue Bell ice cream, or making a very large self portion of rice krispie treats via the microwave.  After many "why did I do that" thoughts to myself, I decided to find a healthier outlet.  Enter "No-Bake Energy Bites".  (choir of angels singing "aaaaaahhhh")

If No-Bake cookies and cookie dough had a healthy baby, this would be it.  These little "energy bites" or "energy balls," as I have started calling them, as soo delicious and satisfy my dessert/sweets/sugar cravings without any guilt :) I found countless versions of them on pinterest and decided to give them a try. They are super fast to whip up and store.

No-bake Energy Balls

1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp of vanilla
1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon (depending on your tastes)
1-2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1 cup rolled oats
1/4-1/2 cup of flax seed


Mix the peanut butter, honey, vanilla, and cinnamon together in a bowl. Then add cocoa powder.  Then add in the oats and flax seed.  Refrigerator for an hour and then roll into bite size balls.  Place balls into an airtight container and store in fridge or freezer.

There are endless variations of these balls.  You can add in chopped nuts, seeds, dried fruit, coconut, etc.  Kind of like trail mix in a little ball.

I like to keep mine choco peanut so they are more like a little ball of no bake cookie goodness.  You can eat 2-3 of them for a snack because they are pretty filling or I like to eat one after lunch to soothe my sweet tooth cravings.  Taylor likes to sneak them at breakfast when I am still asleep.  He will come in to give me a kiss before he leaves and I can smell the chocopeanuty goodness on his breath!

Now that I have made them a couple times, I never measure any of the ingredients.  I just kinda pour and mix until I get the combination of flavors and texture that I like.  So experiment, have fun, and don't feel guilty! They are healthy, right? ;)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Jess! I will be making these tomorrow! Also, go fix your nail polish! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew as soon as I took the picture that someone would comment on the nail polish! Haha

      Delete