Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Chicken Nuggets

I hate days like this:  It was 5:30 pm and I still had no idea what we were going to have for dinner.  The flank steak was in the fridge thawing for tomorrow's dinner (useless!), we were low on fresh veggies, so no inspiration there.  Everything I could think of required a trip to the store, which was so not going to happen.  I talked to Nicole and she was no help - they picked up BBQ for dinner.  Actually, she might have helped.  Got me thinking about eating out and quick and easy meals...I turned to the Wheat Belly Cookbook and BAM!  There was my answer:  homemade chicken nuggets!

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or tenderloins!)
2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup ground golden flaxseeds
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 375.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.  Slice the chicken into 1 1/2 - 2 inch pieces.

In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and butter.  In a shallow bowl, combine the flaxseeds, cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.

Coat each piece of chicken in the egg mixture and then roll in the flaxseed mixture.  Place on the baking pan.

Bake for 20 minutes, turning once, or until no longer pink and the juices run clear.

My Take:  YUM!  These really were quick and easy to whip up.  While the chicken thawed in the microwave, (yes, I cheat) and the oven preheated, I threw the rest together.  Dredging each piece took a little time, and I used every last drop of the flaxseed mixture.  The cooking time was perfect and they came out a little golden and smelled delicious.  Threw some green beans and corn on the side and we had a meal!  They were an instant hit with all three of us, and went well with our dipping sauces of choice (guess which belongs to each of us!).  The only problem: not a single leftover.

1 comment:

  1. These were like the first think I made out of the Wheat Belly cook book. I have made these several times and have loved them! The last time I made them I made a ton of chicken we so could have leftovers, but halfway through the chicken, I ran out of the flax and parm coating and had no more of either ingredient left so I had to improvise. I crushed up some corn chex and used that fancy shredded parm cheese and they turned out so good. Not as healthy as the flax covered ones.... oh well haha

    ReplyDelete