Saturday, March 2, 2013

Pancakes





Our family has a long-standing tradition of eating pancakes on Saturday morning.  This morning was no exception. 

Wheat-Free Pancakes

3 cups almond meal
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons extra-light olive oil, walnut oil, coconut oil, or butter, melted (I used coconut oil.)

In a medium bowl, combine the almond meal, flaxseeds, salt, and baking soda.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs.  Add the milk and oil or butter and whisk thoroughly.

Gradually whisk the flour mixture into the egg mixture.  The consistency should be similar to that of conventional flour-based batter; if too thick, add 1 or more tablespoons of milk or water until of desired consistency.

Lightly oil a large skillet and heat over medium heat.  For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle.  

Almond meal pancakes can be delicate; if you encounter difficulty turning them, release the edges first and then turn.

They were very thick and I had to add several tablespoons of extra milk.  Next time, I will start with 2 cups of almond meal and add a little more as I go.  They were delicious and very filling!

3 comments:

  1. I like the byu article in the background. Nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juliet requested waffles this morning, but we went for pancakes instead. I didn't take your advice and start with 2 cups of flour, but I definitely will next time! And wow, were they filling!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss pancakes. I'm going to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete