Saturday, April 6, 2013

Barbecue Chicken Salad

I have a confession. I am not a great chef. I prefer baking, and when baking, I am exact to a fault. If I need to add 8 ounces chocolate chips to cookies, I get out my scale and weigh it out, adding and subtracting single chips until its perfect. The same thing goes with cooking. If I need to add 1/2 teaspoon salt to soup, I will search for my measuring spoons, measure the salt over the sink, level the salt, and then carefully add it. I'm a little bit insane...

That being said, this is the one and only food I make without checking a recipe 12 times or using measurements. I don't even USE a recipe. And it always turns out right. :)

Barbecue Chicken Salad

Chicken breast or tenderloins or (in a pinch) canned chicken
Barbecue sauce (gluten-free of course!)
1-2 heads romaine lettuce
1 can corn
1 can black beans
1 jicama
2-3 tomatoes
1 avocado
Ranch dressing


Cook chicken (I boil it, but it could be baked, sauteed  or grilled), cool, and dice. Coat with barbecue sauce and set chicken aside. 

Dice lettuce, jicama, and tomatoes. Rinse corn and black beans. Toss together. 

Serve yourself. (If sharing salad, serve others). Top with desired amount of barbecue chicken and avocado. Drizzle ranch over the top and enjoy.

Note: This recipe makes a TON! I halved it, and still have some left over...but you will need extra avocados, Juliet and I can eat one together every time we have a serving of salad.

BEST. SALAD. EVER. 

2 comments:

  1. It was 91 degrees as I was driving home. This salad seemed like a perfect idea for dinner. It was! I put frozen chicken tenders on a foil-lined cookie sheet, rubbed them with olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper. Broiled them for seven minutes, then turned them and covered them with barbecue sauce and returned them to broiler for another 7 minutes. When they came out, I put on another layer of barbecue sauce. What a great salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally tried this and YUM! Will be making it often this summer. Did the chicken the same way Mom tried, so easy!

    ReplyDelete