Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Coconut Shrimp

I love coconut shrimp. End of story. Well, almost.

Now for a picture walk, followed with the recipe!









Easy Baked Coconut Shrimp (original recipe here)


18-24 medium to large raw shrimp (original recipe said to butterfly them, but I didn't)
1 cup dry shredded/flaked coconut (baking type)
2-3 eggs

Breading (flouring?)
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 T ground flax seed1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili
1 tsp. white sugar

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix breading ingredients together in one bowl. Place coconut in a second bowl, and beat the eggs in a third bowl.
3. Dip shrimp in this order: egg, breading, egg, coconut. Lay shrimp onto parchment paper. Repeat. 
4. Bake shrimp for 15 minutes, turning halfway through. 
5. Let them cool slightly, smother in sweet chili sauce, and eat all of them.

*Note* I used Panda Express's Sweet Chili Sauce. I read the ingredients and while nothing seemed gluteny, it did not say gluten-free...so I don't really know. I do know that I had planned to make my own sauce, but it contains fish sauce, which was about $5 at my Kroger. The sauce I got was only $4.30. So that and the convenience made the decision pretty easy. However, these little guys would be delicious dipped in just about anything, or on their own!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, these were super yummy! Curious, did you use just normal chili powder? I used about 1/4 tsp Cayenne. Also, they were excellent dipped in the raspberry chipotle sauce, but what isn't!

    ReplyDelete