Sunday, April 14, 2013

Thai Peanut Noodles



I have recently become a lover of Thai food and I have always loved peanut butter, so this recipe was a natural fit.  I actually found the recipe in the P90x nutrition plan book, but have changed it a little bit.  It has become one of our favorites and before going gluten free we probably had it every two weeks. It only takes me about 15 minutes to make it.  I used to make it with fettucini noodles since they are cheaper than rice noodles, but now that is not an option, so rice noodles it is! (which is more authentic anyways)

1/2 package rice noodles
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup soy sauce
less than 1/3 cup rice vinegar (I just a 1/3 cup and just not fill it all the way to the top.  Like a 1/4 of the inch less than 1/3 cup.  if that makes sense? :/ )
2 tablespoons honey
green onions, chopped
stir fry vegetables or really any vegetables you want

Make the rice noodles according to the box.  I made them by boiling it like normal pasta and it was really hard to have them not get stuck together and then not cook though all the way.  I would definitely make the noodles the recommended way of soaking them in hot water for 30 minutes.  I think that would be easier to manage not sticking together, but I did not have the foresight to do that.

Slice up your preferred stir fry vegetables- I have used the bag of frozen stir fry veggies before but usually I just dice up some onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, carrots, and broccoli.  It makes me feel so healthy to see all those fresh veggies hanging out in one pan :).  Put a little coconut oil in a pan and saute the vegetables until they are tender.  On low heat, add in the peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and honey.  It only takes a few stirs to get it all combined.  Keep it on low heat until the noodles are ready.

Drain the noodles and add them to the sauce and veggies.  Mix it all up so the noodles are covered and then turn off the heat and sprinkle in the green onions.  Serve immediately.  It starts thickening up and getting sticky as soon as it is done cooking so its best to eat it ASAP.

This week when I made it, I made the whole box of rice noodles so we would have enough for leftovers.  I added a little more of the sauce ingredients so that we would have enough sauce.  Feel free to play around with the proportions to suit your tastes.  I am starting to find that I use recipes more like guidelines and play around with them a lot to get exactly what I like.  I hope you enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. I have a peanut butter noodle recipe that I make every two weeks too, but you beat me to the punch on posting it. Now our recipes will have to fight to the death (now meaning whenever I have time to post it...I am procrastinating lesson planning right now and should get back to it...)

    ReplyDelete