Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Carrot Muffins

Because we are no longer baking or eating bread, muffins are a wonderful alternative.  They are easy to make and satisfy that need for a baked good.  This recipe is from the Wheat Belly Cookbook.  I put them in the freezer and then take one out for breakfast or to pop in my lunch for later.  These muffins are like a yummy, little carrot cake.  Try with a little cream cheese--Yum!

1 1/2 cups almond meal/flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup ground golden flaxseeds
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon gound nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup shredded carrots
2 tablespoons orange peel (I didn't have any, so I didn't use any.)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
2 eggs, separated (I have made this recipe twice.  One time I separated the eggs and beat the whites and the next time I didn't.  Didn't seem to make any difference.)
1/2 cup xylitol or 1/4 teaspoon liquid stevia or to desired sweetness.
1/2 cup sour cream or coconut milk
1/4 cup coconut oil, extra-light olive oil, or butter, melted
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Place paper liners in a 12-cup muffin pan or grease the cups.

In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.  Stir in the carrots, orange peel, and raisins (if using).

In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, xylitol or stevia, sour cream or milk, oil or butter, and applesauce.

In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold the beaten whites into the egg yolk mixture until combined.  Fold egg mixture into the flour mixture until well combined.  (I skipped this step and added all the wet ingredients together.)

Divide the batter among the muffin cups, filling each about half full.  Bake for 40 minutes (25 minutes), or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.  Cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely on the rack.

Important!  The first time I made these I baked them for the 40 minutes.  It was way too long and they were very overdone.  The second time I baked them for 25 minutes and they were just right.




1 comment:

  1. Made these for dinner tonight - YUM! Glad I checked before I baked; 25 minutes was just right!

    ReplyDelete