Saturday, April 27, 2013

Bone Broth





One of the best things I have started to do since going gluten free is making my own bone broth.  It is so easy.  Once you get used to using this delicious homemade stock, it is hard to use anything else.  I just save the carcass from chickens I cook, or from rotisserie chickens we get from Costco or Sam's Club.  I also used my leftover turkey carcass from Thanksgiving and Christmas.  My sister, Jenette, and daughter, Natalie, buy beef marrow bones from a butcher or rancher and use those as well.  Just throw the bones in a stock pot with water, onion, carrots and celery.  Cook on low--all day!  At the end of the day, strain the liquid off and freeze in containers, or store in the fridge to be used.  Some in our family drink a cup of broth each day and swear by its health benefits.  I love using it in soups and any recipes that call for chicken stock. 

2 comments:

  1. We just made a fresh pot of this a couple days ago! We've been getting our beef bones from Whole Foods lately. Gotta love the bone broth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete