Saturday, February 9, 2013

Black Bean, Corn, and Turkey Chili and Cilantro Salmon

This week I was searching the web for some recipes including ingredients I had in the fridge from the last time I went to the grocery store, namely ground turkey and a bunch of cilantro.  I found two awesome recipes and am happy to be sharing them with you!

The first is  Black Bean, Corn, and Turkey Chili from allrecipes.com

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound ground turkey
1 large onion chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1 cup salsa
1 tablespoon sugar
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can whole kernel corn, drained

1. Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add the turkey, onion, chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper and garlic powder.  Cook until turkey is well browned, stirring frequently to break of meat.

2. Add the broth, salsa, sugar, beans and corn in to the saucepan.  Heat to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low.
3. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.  Stir the chili occasionally while cooking.

It turned out sooo delicious.  The only thing I did differently was add a little less chili powder because I knew it would be too hot for me with 2 full tablespoons of chili powder.  Even with a little less, it was still a bit spicy, which Taylor enjoyed.  I served it with lots of shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.  We loved it! I made coconut flour cornbread muffins to go with it but they were just alright.  They'e got nothin' on read southern style cornbread.  Taylor said they tasted like a coconut sponge haha

The second delicious recipe I tried this week was Grilled Cilantro Salmon.

It was really easy and took no time at all to make.  The original recipe says to grill it on an outdoor grill but since I don't have one, I baked it the way I always do when I make salmon.

1 bunch cilantro leaves chopped
2 gloves garlic, chopped
2 cups honey
juice from 1 lime (I used lime juice b/c I have no limes)
4 salmon steaks
salt and pepper to taste


1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together cilantro, garlic, honey, and lime juice. Heat until the honey is easily stirred, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
3. Place salmon steaks in a baking dish, and season with salt and pepper. Pour marinade over salmon, cover, and refrigerate 10 minutes.
4. Seal up in individual foil packets and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.Voila! perfectly cooked and juicy salmon. I served it over a bed of rice. It was delish, with not too strong of a cilantro flavor. I actually only used about a cup and a half of honey because other reviewers said the honey taste was overpowering. I will def make this again!

It was a good gluten free cooking week (nevermind the outrageous gluten binge at a Duke Med party where I consumed 3 red velvet cupcakes, 2 chicken bacon ranch wraps, a pistachio biscotti, a coconut macaroon and then had an oreo mint milkshake chaser. It was soooo worth it.) :)

1 comment:

  1. Tried this recipe for dinner tonight. Loved it! Thanks, Jess.

    ReplyDelete