Sunday, February 10, 2013

It's Pizza!





One of the things I have missed the most since going gluten free has been pizza. I just love a chewy, thick crust covered with cheese and vegetables. A local pizza place here in Kaysville sells a gluten-free pizza and I have tried it a couple of times, but it just isn't right. The crust is soggy and you can't really pick it up. The second day it is even worse. The crust starts to disintegrate into a bad-tasting mush. Nicole tried the cauliflower crust recipe, which tastes great, but you have to eat it with a fork. 


Good news! I tried a pizza crust recipe from The Wheat Belly Cookbook by Dr. William Davis. Ernie and I both loved it. It truly satisfied my pizza craving and you can pick it up! Here is the proof:

Pizza Crust I

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 cups ground almonds
1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/4 cup ground golden flaxseeds
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a food processor, pulse the mozzarella until it becomes granular in size.

In a large bowl, combine the mozzarella, almonds, garbanzo bean flour, flaxseeds, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Stir in the eggs, oil, and water and mix thoroughly.

Spread a large sheet of parchment paper over a baking sheet. Place the dough on the parchment paper and lay a second sheet of parchment paper on top of the dough. Flatten with a rolling pin in to a 14" round.

Carefully remove the top layer of parchment paper. Use a spoon or your hands to form a crust edge. Bake for 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and top with your favorite sauce and toppings. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melting.

Yum!

3 comments:

  1. I was planning on making cauliflower crust pizza tomorrow, but this looks WAAAAY better. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, parchment paper and wax paper are not the same. Yes, it does make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this pizza! I could tell you could pick it up, but I went a little toppings heavy so I still ate it with a fork...

    ReplyDelete