Sunday, February 10, 2013

Hors D'oeuvres!

 
For the Super Bowl I wanted to try out some yummy new recipes, perhaps not the healthiest, but definitely delicious, and naturally gluten-free, hooray!

The first is a sesame cream cheese spread, patterned after the appetizer served at The Dodo restuarant in Salt Lake City.  Many thanks to my friend Ashley for figuring this one out!

Sesame Cream Cheese

Cream Cheese
Soy Sauce - make sure you choose a gluten-free one, I use La Choy.
Seasame seeds

Marinate cream cheese in soy sauce for at least an hour.  It's helpful to put it in a little container or bag and rotate it every so often so all the cream cheese gets covered.  Meanwhile, toast some seasame seeds in a pan on the stove (medium heat, stirring frequently, it only takes a few minutes).  Roll the marinated cream cheese in the toasted seasame seed.  Bake in the oven until warm: 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.  Serve with an assortment of gluten free crackers, apple slices, and pear slices.

This turned out amazing, so close to what I remember at The Dodo.  You can also cut your cream cheese block any size depending on your need.  I did a small test section the day before and then made an entire cream cheese package for game day.  There were no leftovers either time!  My favorite vehicle for this tasty treat is pear slices, but I've found some gluten-free crackers I really like.  The Mary's Gone Crackers brand tastes healthier and more whole grain to me, but I've learned 3 year olds prefer the almond Nut-Thins.


The second treat is something I first tried at my aunt Jenette's (the one who first got us all thinking about gluten-free!) house over the holidays and I've been thinking about it ever since.  Super simple, and a nice change from the bacon-wrapped lil'smokies that are usually a Super Bowl staple for us.

Bacon Wrapped Dates

Dates
Whole almonds (plain)
Bacon
toothpicks

Take a paring knife and cut open the dates to remove the pits.  Insert an almond in its place and close the date back up.  Cut the bacon strips in half so they are not quite so long.  Wrap one cut strip around each date and secure with a toothpick.  Bake until the bacon is cooked to your liking.  I baked at 350 degrees until the bacon looked cooked but not yet crispy, totally a preference thing!

These turned out amazing and were a huge hit.  Even the kids liked them.  I ate myself sick of course, but that's what the Super Bowl is for.



No comments:

Post a Comment