Sunday, February 24, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Over the past couple of weeks Joey has mentioned a few times that he misses chocolate chip cookies.  When my Wheat Belly Cookbook arrived this week I knew that was one of the first recipes I wanted to try.  Chocolate chip cookies that weren't super unhealthy seemed too good to be true!

Chocolate Chip Cookies

4 cups almond flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup sour cream or coconut milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon liquid stevia
10 ounces bittersweet or dark chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In  large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, baking soda, and salt.

In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter or coconut oil, sour cream or coconut milk, vanilla, and stevia.  Stir into the flour mixture just until combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

Drop by heaping tablespoons onto the baking sheet.  Using a spoon or glass, press each cookie to 1/2" thickness.

Bake for 25 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.  Remove to a rack to cook completely.

My Take: This was my first time baking a treat without using 'normal' sugar, so that was kind of strange.  I used the Sweet Leaf brand of liquid stevia.  I also went with the butter and sour cream option since I wanted to see how close to traditional cookies they would taste.  When the batter was mixed up, Jenna and I tasted it to see how it was, and surprisingly it tasted like cookie dough!  Little different texture due to the almond flour, and not quite as sweet as my glutenous recipes (which I could have adjusted by adding more stevia) but yummy!  If a three year old wants to eat it by the spoonful, what better endorsement do you need?!
I used my cookie dough scoop to load up the baking sheet, and tried flattening the cookies with both a glass and a spoon.  The spoon definitely worked better.  They looked like cookies going into the oven, I just hoped they tasted like them when they came out!  While they were baking they smelled awesome, and they came out golden.  The best part: they tasted delicious!  I did cut the baking time down a few minutes on the next batch and they turned out even better.

I ate a couple warm out of the oven and was surprised at how filling they were.  I froze a bunch of them to last for the next couple of weeks.  15 seconds in the microwave and they are good as new! 

A word of caution however:  although they aren't terrible for you like normal gluteny, sugary cookies, you still won't feel good if you eat upwards of 10 or so of them (big shocker, right).  Moderation in all things, Joey!!  Oh well, some people never learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment